torstai 13. maaliskuuta 2014

Night flying above Helsinki

Feeling confident from the late night solo excersise, today I went to fly after sunset to see how Helsinki looked from the air at night. I very much liked night flying when we did the course last summer and was lucky to get an instructor who encouraged to continue flying at night every now and then. I also took my girlfriend with me since she also wanted to enjoy the view.

Katajanokka
After careful preparations and checking that the weather indeed was perfect, we managed to take-off in to the night sky. I immediately got a great feeling from the flight and was happy to notice that I didn't get any difficulties or extra pressure from night flying. After all, the surroundings are so familiar to me that it brings very much extra confidence to everything, it especially makes navigation easier. I still, however, plotted all the required radials and DME-distances to be able to fly back to the airport using only the instruments as a navigational reference.

Porvoo's oil refinery yet again. Looks like a city with skyscrapers.
Some instructors and therefore also students seem to have developed a strange fear and anxiety over flying at night but my personal attitude is that it's atmospheric, challenging and brings some very nice variety to daytime VFR-flying. After all, it is a totally normal and legitimate way to fly when you have the right plane, proper training and necessary equipment on board. And what's most important, it is very fun!

On final runway 18. The fact that the Airport Duty Office couldn't turn the PAPI-lights on brought some extra challenge to the landing!

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti