perjantai 7. syyskuuta 2012

First solo flight!

Today was the day when my flight training had advanced to the point that I could fly solo for the first time. I would very much like to write the traditional story here, where I'm at first extremely nervous and then embark to the skies and come down safely with a huge sense of relief and personal accomplishment.

But... this was the fourth "first solo" for me, so I genuinely wasn't nervous at all and the flight wasn't anything mindblowing, although it felt nice of course. However I don't remember being especially nervous before and during my true first solo with a glider. I'm not saying I'm better than others in any way but somehow flying for me feels very natural and I just somehow know I can manage whatever comes up. Sometimes I bit envy some of my coursemates who have come to the school with zero hours of flight experience. Everything is so new and exciting. I suppose I'll have to wait a while before something totally new comes to me, since this PPL course has been very familiar so far.

Still, it's always nice to fly without an instructor. There's always these waypoints in flight training where having an instructor on board doesn't really add to the experience and you'll have to fly solo for a while to make progress. So now it was fun to fly alone and enjoy the silence and Cessna flying.

The day's sortie was a flight in the traffic circuit, where I had to make five touch and go landings in the vicinity of Malmi airport. After this it was time to park the plane and head for the hangar to receive some applauds and congratulations.

...and yes, there came the cold water! :)

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti