perjantai 2. elokuuta 2013

Flying solo to an AFIS Aerodrome

Last week I flew solo to an AFIS aerodrome for the first time in my life. I've never managed to fly to an open AFIS with the ultralights, since they are very often closed and most of the time only open for a few hours when a regional airliner arrives. And they arrive at unconventional hours as we know.

The 172 at Savonlinna.

I had the C172 reserved for the day and decided to fly to Savonlinna Airport, since it was the closest AFIS that was open. Mikkeli is a little closer but its operating hours aren't as good now in the summer.

Savonlinna airport from above. At the apron there's a Flybe ATR-72 and a private Pilatus PC-12.

The flight was easy and relaxing to fly and navigation didn't pose a problem especially since the 172 has a GPS, which we are allowed to use as a backup reference. In practice you'll just end up keeping the GPS route line straight and eventually arriving to your destination.

Navigation = Follow the pink line.

Now I have one more AFIS flight to go. Maybe I'll go to Seinäjoki next.. :)

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti